Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jesus and the Storms by Pastor Bettye

August 7th, 2011
Matthew 14: 22-33
In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,
While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.*



How would you the listener use this story of Jesus and the storm to help calm yourself or another? The retelling of our gospel text is important in the life of a Christian. It is part of our call to give testimony about how the words of Christ effect our lives as Christian disciples in this world.
Today I would like you to leave this sanctuary with two strengths: one, to be able to share the meaning of this text with another in need; two, have the ability to apply the learning from this text to your own faith walk. One strength is necessary for the other.

Part one: What can YOU proclaim from this story?

The story of the storm on the Sea of Galilee does not appear by accident. The story whether real or metaphor is a call to a critical engagement with God in Christ. The story begins with fear and ends in worship and praise. Fear is a significant theme bombarding the reader throughout this Gospel text. Jesus is the constant relief in the face of that fear. Jesus as an example prays prior to the storms WITHOUT FEAR. Jesus does not pray IN the storm; he comforts, he acts, he is present. Jesus’ prayer life sets for us that example between the prayer life he lives and the things he is able to do.

Within the story exists three people: Jesus as the savior, Peter as the one needing to be saved, and the disciples as a single entity, a single voice watching the risk Peter is taking; one man’s risk is effecting a community of watchers! Jesus does not stop the storm in order to silence the fears of Peter and the disciples. Jesus joins them in the storm offering grace and comfort. Peter takes his eyes off of Jesus in blind fear and sinks into the raging waters. Jesus acts and does two things: he asks Peter what happened to his faith and two, Jesus silences the storm.

What did you hear in this story that can be shared?

Part Two; Engaging Christ in your own storms

Each one of us lives on the edge of a brewing storm. Living on the shore I have learned what it means to be able to watch an approaching set of dark clouds and take cover. Are we all in some way, shape or form struggling on the edge of a storm, living in a storm or sighing a deep breath of relief because the storm has passed us by? I would like you to close your eyes and imagine where you stand in relation to one storm, one fear in your life. Having heard the comforting words of our Gospel text, the promises of an ever present savior I would like you to imagine Jesus extending his hand to you. Trust him as he dwells with you in this storm. Do not take your eyes off of the savior. Do not become absorbed in fearful thoughts which pull at the borders of your peace. Trust the Savior’s hand, his love, his presence.
Now….go and ell, go and worship the one whose grace is sufficient at alltimes!
*Till the Storm Passes By
By Mosie Lister

From the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face
While the storm rolls above me and there’s no hiding place.
‘Neath the crash of the thunder, precious Lord hear my cry,
Keep me safe to the storm passes by.


Many times Satan whispered, "There is no need to try,
For there's no end of sorrow, there's no hope by and by"
But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise
Where the storms never darken the skies.

Chorus
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

When the long night has ended and the storms come no more,
Let me stand in Thy presence on the bright peaceful shore;
In that land where the tempest, never comes, Lord, may I
Dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.

Chorus
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

No comments: